Throughout World Oceans Month, Surfrider celebrated our ocean, waves and beaches. For the past 11 years, Surfrider has been hosting our annual International Surfing Day on June 20. This year, we had more International Surfing Day events (184 official registered events), more participants (37,000) and more countries (32) than years past, and it gave surfers the opportunity to do what they do best: surf some amazing waves.
In addition to paddling out, surfers and beachgoers also celebrated International Surfing Day by taking part in various environmental events hosted by the Surfrider Foundation. From beach cleanups to dune restorations, to youth surf contests, surfers and other coastal enthusiasts spent the day giving back to our oceans, waves and beaches that they love and respect so much. More trash was collected (a hefty 24,000 pounds) than ever before.
Here's some highlights from our 11th annual International Surfing Day:
- Surfrider Foundation’s Oregon chapters joined forces to host their annual Otter Rock ‘N’ Roll Youth Surf Festival and Contest and beach cleanup.
- At the Huntington Beach Pier, the Huntington/Seal and Newport Beach Chapters partnered to host a beach cleanup and to raise awareness about local coastal issues. (Beachgoers also got to witness the Guiness World Record for most people surfing on the biggest board!)
- Surfrider's Connecticut Chapter hosted its International Surfing Day with Scoot & Paddle and its first annual Charles Island SUP CUP at Walnut Beach in Milford, CT.
- Kids had the time of their lives at our 9th Annual South Texas International Surfing Day event in South Padre Island where there was a free children's surf clinic.
- Our Oahu Chapter partnered with Barefoot Wine to host the Beach Rescue project which included a beach clean-up and wine and music.
- 25 of our friends and partners in the surf industry joined in on the celebration by hosting company-wide beach cleanups and paddle outs. Taking time out of the work day, many of them closed down shop and headed to their local beach to protect and surf in honor of International Surfing Day.
A HUGE thank you to our amazing sponsors — Discovery Channel and Clif Bar — who helped make this International Surfing Day such a huge success!
And a thank you our additional supporters: BC Surf and Sport, Billabong, Clif Bar, Discovery, Dragon, Electric, Firewire, Hansen Surfboards, Huntington Surf and Sport, International Surfing Association, Jacks Surf Shop, O'Neill, Otis Eyewear, Quiksilver, Rip Curl, Rusty, Sanuk, Spy, Stance, Sticky Bumps, Sun Diego, Superbranded, Surf Ride, Vans, VISSLA, and Volcom
As June ends, so does World Oceans Month.
But, here at Surfrider, every day of every month of every year is about protecting our ocean, waves and beaches. Sometimes it's hard to see why our ocean needs protection. So much of the risk and damage are invisible to the naked eye, hidden in the deep waters or perhaps too daunting to solve. Some threats are looming in the future if we continue down the path we are on.
Every day, our network of passionate people who champion our surf and sand fight for the health of our ocean and address the dangers we can't see, today and in the future. And we have a proven blueprint for success that transforms passion into protection. We ensure clean water, healthy oceans, unspoiled coastlines and accessible beaches. We won't stop until our coasts have 100% protection. To do that, we need you and want you on our team.
Come as you are. Give what you’ve got. Help how you can.
It’s our right to enjoy them. And our duty to protect them.