50th single-use plastics victory
Our plastic trash should not be in the ocean. Period.
It's bad enough that we use single-use bags and bottles for a few minutes and then throw them away (less than ten percent get recycled).
Perhaps the only good thing that can be said about single-use plastic trash is that it provides a visual reminder to us that we are polluting our oceans. We can SEE our trash.
The following list of coastal victories is one more measurement of the movement to limit plastic trash.
Cheers to the activists and volunteers that have pushed forward 50, count 'em 50, wins in stemming the tide of plastic pollution. More info on each here.
If you want to be part of the solution, part of our network... find a chapter here.
Listed from most recent to oldest.
1. City of Santa Cruz Expanded EPS Foam Ban, Jul 2012
2. Corvallis, OR Plastic Bag Ban Jul 2012
3. City of Santa Cruz Bag Ban Jul 2012
4. Oahu Bans Plastic Bags! May 2012
5. Solana Beach Bag Ban May 2012
6. Ojai Plastic Bag Ban Apr 2012
7. Dana Point Plastic Bag Ban Mar 2012
8. Austin, TX Plastic Bag Ban Mar 2012
9. Hermosa Beach Polystyrene Foodware Ban Mar 2012
10. Carpinteria CA - Bag Ban Mar 2012
11. Dana Point Foam Foodware Ban Feb 2012
12. Laguna Beach Plastic Bag Ban Feb 2012
13. San Francisco Expanded Bag Ban Feb 2012
14. Bag Ban Passed on the Big Island, Hawaii Jan 201
15. San Luis Obispo County Bag Ban Jan 2012
16. City of Monterey Bag Ban Dec 2011
17. Seattle WA - Plastic Bag Ban 2011
18. City of Marina Polystyrene Ban Nov 2011
19. City of Manhattan Beach CA smoke-free beaches extension Aug 2011
20. Portland, OR Plastic Bag Ban Jul 2011
21. Bellingham, WA Plastic Bag Ban Jul 2011
22. Texas Bag Legislation Defeated Jun 2011
23. Babylon, NY - Recycling on the beach (Gilgo Town Beach) Jun 2011
24. Montgomery County MD Plastic Bag Fee May 2011
25. Long Beach Bag Ban 2011
26. Maui Bans Plastic Bags Jan 2011
27. South Padre Island - Plastic Bag Ban Jan 2011
28. Marin County Bag Ban Jan 2011
29. Santa Monica Bag Ban Jan 2011
30. San Clemente Expanded Polystyrene Ban Jan 201
31. Los Angeles County Bag Ban Nov 2010
32. Recycling and Composting Program in Bellingham Apr 2010
33. Kauai Bans Plastic Shopping Bags Oct 2009
34. Plastic Bags Banned in Edmonds, WA Jun 2009
35. Anacostia River Cleanup and Protection Act Jun 2009
36. New York Passes Bigger Better Bottle Bill Apr 2009
37. Watsonville Bans Styrofoam Food Containers - Santa Cruz Mar 2009
38. Polystyrene Banned in Monterey Feb 2009
39. Styrofoam Banned in Scotts Valley Dec 2008
40. Encinitas Plastic Bag Ban Ordinance Sep 2008
41. Westport Connecticut Votes to Ban Plastic Checkout Bags Sep 2008
42. Plastic Bags Banned in Los Angeles West Los Angeles / Malibu Jul 2008
43. Manhattan Beach Passes Ordinance to Ban Plastic Carry-Out Bags Jul 2008
44. Seattle Bans StyrofoamJul 2008
45. Pacific Grove Polystyrene Ban Monterey 2008
46. Plastic Bag Ban in Malibu West Los Angeles / Malibu May 2008
47. Santa Cruz County Polystyrene Ban Apr 2008
48. Recycling Bins Along Boardwalk in Atlantic City Dec 2007
49. Capitola Polystyrene Ban Santa Cruz Jun 2007
50. Banned Plastic Bags in San Francisco Mar 2007