Hold Onto Your Butt… goes global
February 20 2008 | Jim's Blog,
Some butt facts...
- Cigarette butts are the most littered item in The United States and the world.
- 2,000,000,000+ cigarette butts get tossed everyday.
- Americans toss more than 175 million pounds of cigarette butts out every year. These frequently are cast onto streets and pushed into storm drains that flow to streams and ultimately the ocean.
- At beach cleanups, cigarette butts are the most common form of trash found (typically 20% of items collected).
- Cigarette filters were designed to trap the toxic chemicals from the cigarette smoke from entering the smoker's body. When submerged in water, the toxic chemicals trapped in the filter leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many forms of aquatic life.
The San Diego chapter took that factoid and ran with it. They built the Hold Onto Your Butt campaign, worked an interesting deal with the California Highway Patrol, helped push/pass legislation to ban smoking on local beaches, etc.
Now other US chapters have caught on and it's gone global.
Check out the call in show in Australia.
and check out the San Diego crew...
Data lifted from SD site.