Nalgene’s last gasp
April 24 2008 | Jim's Blog,
The Nalgene crowd was an aware crowd.
Not aware enough it turns out...
The issue has always been a chemical that was rumored to be toxic. Bisphenol-A. Turns out that the rumors were accurate, this is a nasty chemical, linked to tumors and hormonal changes.
The National Toxicology Program said “... possibility that bisphenol-a may alter human development cannot be dismissed.”
A good, solid overview of the issue can be found in a NYT piece here.
The money quote is “Based on all available scientific evidence, we continue to believe that Nalgene products containing BPA are safe for their intended use... however, our customers indicated they preferred BPA-free alternatives, and we acted in response to those concerns.” Steven Silverman, the general manager of the Nalgene unit.
Um, are you serious?
Of course your customers don't want products laced with chemicals that are linked tumors and other horrible health side effects.
Would you knowingly let your kids play with toys covered with lead paint? Ahhh... no. Of course not. We should have known the rumors were true when Patagonia stopped selling Nalgene bottles a year or so ago.
What's worse than selling people products that are linked to health issues is the fact that a notable percent of products using this chemical were infant water bottles.
Want an alternative? Sigg.