Did you know that up to 80% of the plastic in our oceans comes from land-based sources? It’s pretty clear we all need to take a good, hard look at our plastic use.
Everyone has a plastic footprint. But we can all make a few simple choices to cut unnecessary plastics from our daily routines and reduce how much plastic we use in our lifetime. In honor of Rise Above Plastics Month, here are 5 easy ways to reduce your plastic footprint:
1. Say no to single-use plastic water bottles. In nearly all cases, the water out of your tap is just as safe – if not safer – than the water sold in single-use plastic bottles. Instead, buy and use a reusable bottle and fill it with water.
2. Try a reusable travel mug each time you fill up for coffee or tea. Think of all the plastic lids (as well as the waxed paper cups) we’ll save!
3. Skip the pre-packaged single-serving portions. These types of products are the worst when it comes to excess packaging. Instead, buy in bulk and pop your goodies into reusable containers (it’s cheaper too!).
4. BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag)! Each year over one trillion plastic bags are used worldwide. Because these bags are so light and thin, they are easily carried by the wind out into our coastal environment. Instead of taking a plastic bag when you shop, use reusable bags.
5. Support Surfrider’s Rise Above Plastics Campaign! Renew your Surfrider membership today and we’ll send you 2 Halloween-themed Surfrider Foundation ChicoBag treat bags that are sure to please any trick-or-treater. You can use them throughout the year to get your groceries and other purchases home without the use of plastic bags.
When you renew your Surfrider membership during Rise Above Plastics Month, you can spread the word about the threat single-use plastics pose to our marine environments and inspire others to reduce their plastic footprint by making simple changes in their daily lives.