Blue Water Task Force Manager
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches for all people through a powerful activist network. The Surfrider Foundation has achieved many important victories by persuading state, federal, and local decision makers to protect vital coastal and ocean resources. These accomplishments demonstrate the important role of recreational users in advancing coastal and ocean stewardship.
The Surfrider Foundation seeks to hire an individual to manage its Blue Water Task Force (BWTF) volunteer water quality testing program. This position will work under the Water Quality Manager and support Surfrider’s national network of nearly 50 chapter-run laboratories that measure bacteria levels at hundreds of ocean, bay, estuary and freshwater sampling sites across the country.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Purchase & invoice chapter water testing supplies
- Manage BWTF website & chapter data entry needs
- Onboard new labs & troubleshooting existing labs
- Ensure SOPs and QA/QC protocols are being implemented by volunteers properly
- Assist chapters and regional staff to share, communicate & analyze their data
- Support chapter efforts to identify pollution sources
- Revise & develop new training resources as needed
- Manage partnerships with external platforms for sharing BWTF data
- Participate in analysis and writing of the annual Clean Water Report.
- Contribute blog posts, activist spotlights and other content for Surfrider communication channels
- Support chapter advocacy on clean water issues
- Provide other clean water program support as needed
- Foster internal support (regional and chapter staff) for BWTF program
- Support fundraising for Clean Water Initiative & BWTF program
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 4 year science degree
- Minimum 3 years experience working on coastal or water quality issues
- Experience working with volunteers or a citizen science program
- NGO or non-profit experience
- Knowledge of water quality issues and recreational water quality monitoring programs
- Experience communicating, both orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal skills to maintain positive working relationships with volunteers, staff and external partners
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple, complex tasks and to establish and regularly evaluate priorities
- Experience communicating, both orally and in writing, with agency staff, elected officials, stakeholders and the public
- Familiarity with mailchimp and excel
- Experience with database management
SALARY & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position. The Blue Water Task Force Manager position will be compensated with a competitive salary commensurate with the candidate’s experience level, starting at $50,000. The Surfrider Foundation offers a salary that is competitive with other national, not-for-profit conservation organizations.
Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation, Long-Term Disability insurance, Employee Assistance program (EAP), Section 125 Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan with partial employer matching. Surfrider also provides paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
Please send your cover letter (including your salary requirements) and resume to:
Deadline for receiving resumes: August 2nd, 2021
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our Justice, equity, diversity and inclusion commitments, please visit: