FLORIDA POLICY MANAGER
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches for all people through a powerful activist network. The Surfrider Foundation has achieved many important victories by persuading state, federal, and local decision makers to protect vital coastal and ocean resources. These accomplishments demonstrate the important role of recreational users in advancing coastal and ocean stewardship.
The Surfrider Foundation seeks to hire an individual to advance conservation of Florida’s coastal and ocean ecosystem by strategically engaging its members, chapters, and other recreational users in policy initiatives, grassroots campaigns, and community based projects. This position will work in a coordinated effort with the Florida & Puerto Rico Regional Manager and Surfrider’s Florida chapter network.
By joining the Surfrider Foundation, you will be welcomed into an open and inclusive network of incredibly supportive and collaborative people who work hard and play hard. You have the opportunity to work with dedicated people, who are also passionate coastal users, that have their feet in the sand and toes in the water. You help bring together divergent voices and perspectives to provide our community with the leadership and tools necessary to make a difference at their beach and in coastal communities across the United States. At Surfrider, we build leaders and we are problem solvers; our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. Coastal recreation is fun and working at Surfrider is too.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Devise and implement advocacy and organizing strategies to advance Surfrider Foundation’s mission in Florida.
- Work in partnership with the Florida Regional Manager to engage Surfrider chapters in campaigns at the local, state and federal levels.
- Collaborate with coalition partners, state agencies, and advisory bodies to support ocean and coastal policy initiatives.
- Advance policy campaigns by building coalitions, testifying in hearings, and activating our grassroots network.
- Develop communications and campaign materials for state chapter network via blogs, email newsletters, social media, white papers and one pagers.
- Engage in outreach and consensus building with ocean stakeholders including non-consumptive users, commercial and recreational fishermen, business leaders, and conservationists.
- Work closely with the Florida Regional Manager and chapter leaders to develop volunteer opportunities and increase membership.
- Support Florida Regional Manager in developing and implementing chapter programs including Ocean Friendly Restaurants, Blue Water Task Force, and Rise Above Plastics.
- Maintain positive relationships with the funding community and develop fundraising proposals, complete grant reports and identify new revenue opportunities in collaboration with other Surfrider staff.
- Represent global organization on regional advisory boards and state coalitions.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in environmental policy and/or advocacy.
- Preferred graduate degree in environmental management, ocean policy, marine science, and/or legal experience.
- In-depth knowledge of coastal and ocean management issues.
- Knowledge of the legislative process and the issues affecting coastal communities.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple, complex tasks and to establish and regularly evaluate priorities.
- Professional experience communicating, both orally and in writing, with agency staff, elected officials, industry representatives, and stakeholders.
- Experience communicating with news media in all forms.
- Proven success in project management including coordinating teams of diverse individuals.
- Experience in grant management, reporting and communication with foundation program officers.
- Must reside within the state of Florida; candidate works primarily from in-home office.
- Once COVID-19 restrictions lift, some travel will be required.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position. The Florida Policy Manager position will be compensated a competitive salary commensurate with candidate’s experience level, starting at $55K+. The Surfrider Foundation offers a salary that is competitive with other national, not-for-profit conservation organizations.
Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation, Long-Term Disability insurance, Employee Assistance program (EAP), Section 125 Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan with partial employer matching. Surfrider also provides paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
Please send your cover letter (including your salary requirements) and resume to:
Deadline for receiving resumes: January 28, 2022
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our Justice, equity, diversity and inclusion commitments, please visit: