MARKETING MANAGER - CONTENT STRATEGY
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches for all people through a powerful activist network. The Surfrider Foundation has achieved many important victories by persuading state, federal, and local decision makers to protect vital coastal and ocean resources. These accomplishments demonstrate the important role of recreational users in advancing coastal and ocean stewardship.
By joining the Surfrider Foundation, you will be welcomed into an open and inclusive network of incredibly supportive and collaborative people who work hard and play hard. You will have the opportunity to work with dedicated people who are also passionate coastal users with their feet in the sand and toes in the water. You help bring together diverse voices and perspectives to provide our community with the leadership and tools necessary to make a difference at their beach and in coastal communities across the United States. At Surfrider, we build leaders and we are problem solvers; our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. Coastal recreation is fun and working at Surfrider is too.
We are seeking an experienced marketer and content strategist (non-profit experience is a plus). This individual will help execute our multi-channel fundraising and membership campaigns, website projects, and impact storytelling. They will also build marketing plans, influence strategy, create compelling content briefs, and oversee content created by a team of specialists to ensure our deliverables meet the Surfrider standard, increase membership and generate revenue. Day-to-day, this position will be strategizing, managing and implementing effective digital marketing campaigns and projects for Surfrider.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help Surfrider to achieve awareness, acquisition, and fundraising goals by turning a goal into an effective, multi-channel marketing campaign. This includes increased membership goals.
- Develop and manage a content calendar that is aligned with goals, milestones as well as general marketing department seasonal priorities.
- Project manage campaigns and projects as needed.
- Collaborate with internal departments to achieve project objectives, complete tasks, and identify and solve problems.
- Prioritize the impact of our work in storytelling, partnering with internal copywriter, and the optimization of our platforms to drive revenue.
- As needed, manage in partnership with copywriter the email, social, and web copy for fundraising campaigns, engagement efforts, and impact reports.
- Source and manage external vendors, when necessary, including writers and editors.
- Oversee the quality of work from designers and copywriters and collaborate with the marketing/communications and leadership teams to deliver content that converts.
- Distill email, web, text, advertising, and social campaign results into the important lessons that could change how a campaign performs.
- Prepare analytics/performance reports to track campaigns regularly and make adjustments as needed. Provide reports for the leadership team as well.
Reports to: Sr. Marketing Manager
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Exceptional problem-solving and active listening skills, seeks clarification, asks questions, and finds solutions.
- Strong eye for quality design and copy and can give clear direction to other creatives.
- Working knowledge as to how to execute and evaluate integrated marketing campaigns for nonprofits.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Knowledge of digital fundraising technology, including email marketing systems, customer relationship management, and charitable giving platforms.
- High level of competence in portraying complex content in a simple/clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Experience working effectively with multiple stakeholders who may have evolving priorities including subject matter experts, developers; managing vendors and consultants.
- Ability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into tangible sprints while managing the process to uncover key insights, gain buy-in and nail deadlines.
- Ability to anticipate challenges and suggest solutions to overcoming them.
- Must be a proactive, organized, and strategic thinker who can communicate and collaborate effectively with teammates.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The Marketing Manager - Content Strategy will be paid a competitive salary commensurate with candidate’s experience level and geographic cost of living, starting at $60K.
Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation, Long-Term Disability insurance, Employee Assistance program (EAP), Section 125 Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan offering a match of .50¢ of every dollar contributed by the employee up to a maximum of 4% of earnings (in other terms, a 2% employer match). Surfrider also provides paid holidays, vacation and sick time. We also provide 6 weeks of paid parental leave following the birth of an employee’s child or the placement of a child with an employee in connection with adoption or foster care.
Please send cover letter (including your salary requirements) and resume to:
Deadline: Submissions will be accepted until the position is filled.
Phone inquiries and walk-ins will not be accepted. Thank you for understanding.
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our Justice, equity, diversity and inclusion commitments, please visit: https://www.surfrider.org/pages/diversity-equity-inclusion