NEW YORK CITY CHAPTER COORDINATOR
The Surfrider Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches for all people through a powerful activist network. We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for the position of New York City Chapter Coordinator. This individual must have a background in event management, membership engagement, and volunteer organizing. The main objective for this position is to increase the organizational capacity and membership in Surfrider Foundation’s New York City and adjacent chapters (Central Long Island & Eastern Long Island, etc.) through amplifying their environmental campaigns and programs leading to an increase in paid memberships.
DUTES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support NYC chapter activities, programs, campaigns, and events to support increased engagement within the NYC chapter.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment, engagement and management.
- Grow Surfrider Foundation Membership in New York City and Central Long Island.
- Work in conjunction with the Surfrider Foundation’s Membership Department to incorporate membership opportunities into local campaigns, programs, activities and events.
- Event planning: Assist the chapter and National Headquarters with fundraising events and outreach activities; such as but not limited to International Surfing Day, Coastal Cleanup Day, responding to calls, emails and general inquiries from the general public and members.
- Manage and screen event and partnership opportunities.
- General office administration including returning phone calls, responding to general emails inquiries, providing assistance in maintaining external relationships, permit applications, etc.
- Maintain regular communications with Surfrider Foundation members and volunteers via the website, email, social media, events calendar and other channels as part of a membership retention strategy.
- Assist chapter committee leads in coordinating committees/programs meetings, and attend program meetings as needed. Attend meetings and calls that happen during standard working hours when a volunteer executive committee member is not available .
- Coordinate chapter outreach efforts including staffing booths, prepping supplies for events, assisting in recruiting volunteers, giving presentations, and conducting media interviews as needed.
- Manage corporate beach cleanup programs, including permitting and supply management.
- Process general donations and membership.
- Facilitate regular communication between the NYC Chapter Executive Committee and Surfrider National Staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in grassroots organizing, community outreach and coalition building.
- Event Management
- Experience in designing and executing fundraising/membership events.
- Demonstrated facilitation and project management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing with businesses, industry representatives and stakeholders.
- Must reside in New York City.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout New York City and Central Long Island.
- Willingness to work flexible hours (including weekends and evenings).
- Ability to work effectively from a home office.
- Ability to work independently.
- This position emphasizes the skill sets of a community organizer with emphasis on membership cultivation and volunteer engagement..
Reports to: Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager
SALARY & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position. The New York City Chapter Coordinator position will be compensated a competitive salary commensurate with candidate’s experience level, starting at $50,000+. The Surfrider Foundation offers a salary that is competitive with other national, not-for-profit conservation organizations.
Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation, Long-Term Disability insurance, Employee Assistance program (EAP), Section 125 Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan with partial employer matching. Surfrider also provides paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
Please send your cover letter (including your salary requirements) and resume to:
Deadline for receiving resumes: Friday, May 14, 2021
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about out JEDI commitments, please visit: