Partial Full-Time, 32 Hours/Week (potential for 40 hours/week)
Location: San Clemente, CA
The Surfrider Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches for all people through a powerful activist network.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General office administrative and clerical support
- Phone reception: directing calls and forwarding voicemails
- Managing general correspondence and delegation of inquiries received from the email@example.com general email inbox. Drafting responses to general public inquiries and student inquiries about the organization, programs, initiatives, appropriate contacts for follow-up and more.
- Greeting and directing all visitors
- Daily (or 2x weekly dependent upon volume) mail pickup, sorting and distribution, scanning correspondence as a large majority of staff work on a remote basis.
- Sorting, processing, making copies and scans of checks and donations for deposit batch-outs of incoming funds.
- Overseeing and managing general office organization and supply inventory.
- Assistance with the coordination and execution of various events and activities.
- Managing daily basic cleaning of break room, emptying dishwasher, taking out trash, watering office plants, cleaning fridge out when necessary.
- Assisting the Human Resources & Operations Manager, CEO and COO with miscellaneous tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Maintaining the fixed asset lists of staff laptops and cell phones, orchestrating replacements, upgrades and repairs through insurance collaborating with the Human Resources & Operations Manager and tech team.
- Proactively ordering office supplies, equipment, business cards and employee equipment as needed.
- Orchestrating office repairs and maintenance when necessary/applicable.
- Assist with travel and accommodations arrangements as needed.
- Employee gifts, birthday gifts, sympathy cards/gifts, milestone recognition, etc.
- Anticipating the needs of staff and helping with miscellaneous assignments and projects as needed.
Less Frequent Tasks:
- Coordinating employee morale-boosting events - i.e. “San-O Wednesdays” staff beach days during summer months. Arranging schedule, invites, catering and setup (summer months only).
- Logistics and planning assistance with the annual “All Staff Meeting (1 week per year)
- Arranging/picking up lunch, catering orders and supplies as needed
- Running errands for office and staff as needed
- Assisting with office tenant improvements
- Credit card and expense reports (once per month)
- Assisting the Partnerships and Development team with events/fundraiser setup and planning assistance
- Assisting with incoming summer intern projects (annually)
- Very rarely, weekend or evening hours may be requested for special events assistance, dependent upon employee availability.
- Rarely may need to mail items overnight via USPS and/or UPS.
Reports to: Human Resources & Operations Manager
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Associates degree or equivalent - 4-year degree is preferred, but not required
• 3+ years of experience in an administrative support role
• Positive attitude with a proactive, team-oriented approach
• Outstanding organization, prioritization and planning skills.
• Exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Strong time management skills with ability to prioritize, multi-task and easily shift gears as needed.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook
• Personal alignment with the Surfrider Foundation’s mission; passionate about the health and protection of our oceans, waves and beaches.
• Must have own vehicle and be willing to run local office errands (mileage is reimbursed by Surfrider Foundation).
• Local San Clemente resident is preferred
LOCATION & HOURS:
This is a partial full-time position based out of Surfrider Foundation’s Global Headquarters in San Clemente, CA.
There is also potential for the position to increase from 32 hours/week to full-time at 40 hours/week.
Ideal Schedule: Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5:30pm (1-hour lunch break)
Schedule flexibility is definitely possible (i.e. earlier departure time 5 days/week opposed to 4 - please include your specific requirements/restrictions along with your submission (i.e. if there are certain weekdays you may be enrolled in school or unavailable, etc).
*Please note: COVID-19 restrictions many temporarily impact in-person office schedule, allowing for remote work until restrictions are safely lifted.
The Surfrider Foundation offers a salary that is competitive with other national, not-for-profit conservation organizations. Position starts at $20/Hour+ dependent upon candidate’s level of experience.
- Medical, dental and vision coverage monthly premiums compensated 100% by Surfrider Foundation
- Generous paid vacation time, sick time and holidays (16 days/year)
- 401(k) plan with partial employer matching
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Option
- Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD)
- Employee Assistance program (EAP)
- 50% of personal cell phone bill reimbursement
- Opportunities to enroll in professional development and training courses
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your hourly pay requirements and any availability specifics within your cover letter.
Deadline for receiving resumes: Friday, May 7th, 2021
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our JEDI commitments, please visit: