SAN DIEGO COUNTY CHAPTER BEACH CLEANUP COORDINATOR
Part-time, 15-25 hours/week
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches, for all people, through a powerful activist network. The Surfrider Foundation has achieved many important victories by persuading state, federal, and local decision makers to protect vital coastal and ocean resources. These accomplishments demonstrate the important role of recreational users in advancing coastal and ocean stewardship.
By joining the Surfrider Foundation, you will be welcomed into an open and inclusive network of incredibly supportive and collaborative people who work hard and play hard. You will have the opportunity to work with dedicated people, who are also passionate coastal users, that have their feet in the sand and toes in the water. You help bring together divergent voices and perspectives to provide our community with the leadership and tools necessary to make a difference at their beach and in coastal communities across the United States. At Surfrider, we build leaders and we are problem solvers; our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. Coastal recreation is fun and working at Surfrider is too.
About the Position:
The Surfrider Foundation San Diego County Chapter is seeking a highly motivated person for the part-time position of Beach Cleanups Coordinator. Our team seeks a self-motivated, adaptable professional to work in a high volume, deadline dependent environment. The primary focus of this position is to manage our Beach Cleanup Program. This position is part-time and requires a flexible schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support, manage, and expand our corporate and public beach cleanup programs. This includes permitting and supply management, scheduling and hosting sponsored cleanups, and supporting our public cleanup site volunteers.
- Respond directly to inquiries from corporations looking to partner and/or participate in a company beach cleanup. Manage corporate contributions to the chapter that come through corporate cleanups, and consult with Surfrider Foundation corporate partnerships team for guidance and coordination.
- Ensure all cleanups are approved and insured by submitting an Event Approval request via Surfrider HQ’s established Event Approval Process. Ensure city and/or state park permit applications are completed when necessary.
- Create Beach Cleanup opportunities in the Golden Volunteer Management platform and promote accordingly
- Supervise all beach cleanup data entry and manage the chapter’s beach cleanup database.
- Maintain beach cleanup supplies. Assist with the organization of merchandise, outreach materials, and supplies in both our office storage as well as our offsite North County storage unit.
- Work with Chapter Manager and volunteer site-captains to leverage the chapter’s volunteer network to assist with larger community beach cleanup requests.
- Maintain regular communications with Surfrider Foundation members and volunteers via the website, email, social media, events calendar and other channels (as pertaining to our beach cleanup program)
- Follow up with participants post-cleanup thanking them for their service and provide opportunities for further engagement.
- Works remotely from home, from the San Diego County Chapter office and throughout the San Diego area for beach cleanup events, meetings and activations as needed.
Reports to: San Diego County Chapter Manager
- Basic knowledge of coastal/marine environmental issues
- Ability to load, unload and carry beach cleanup supplies (up to 50 lbs.) for extended distances of up to 200 yards
- Administrative experience, especially managing data on spreadsheets
- Basic computer literacy
- Public speaking skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work in a high volume, deadline dependent environment
- Flexible schedule; available during weekday business hours, weekends and an occasional weekday evening for chapter meetings
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners, communities and volunteers
- Strong social skills
- Must have own vehicle to transport supplies and maintain a clean driving record
- Nonprofit and/or volunteer coordination experience
- Strong writing skills
- Basic knowledge utilizing social media platforms
This is a part-time, non-exempt position based in the San Diego County area. Candidate will work remotely from home, from the San Diego County Chapter office and throughout the San Diego County area for beach cleanup events, meetings and activations as needed.
COMPENSATION: Starting rate of $20/hour
Please email your resume and cover letter (including your salary requirements) to:
Deadline to apply: August 19, 2022
The Surfrider Foundation is committed to fostering a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization for all people who protect and enjoy the world’s ocean, waves, and beaches. Our success and impact depends on learning from our community, standing in solidarity with our allies and working towards a more just future, both for our organization and the environmental movement as a whole.
The Surfrider Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together we strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class.
To learn more about our JEDI commitments, please visit: https://www.surfrider.org/pages/diversity-equity-inclusion