The new year signifies a time to make healthier commitments. While many people turn to gym memberships and new diets to meet this goal, reducing your plastic use not only helps you lead a healthier life but it improves the health of the planet too! Learn more about the negative impacts plastic has on our bodies by reading our post titled, “Choose Reusables to Avoid Consuming Chemicals.”
Single-use plastics are some of the most wasteful and potentially harmful types of plastics there are. This includes anything from bags, bottles, utensils, packaging, straws, to-go containers, or anything else that is only used for a short period of time before being discarded. That’s why it’s so important to arm yourself with the right tools to avoid these types of plastics both on the go and in your home. To help you get started, we’ve developed a Zero Waste Foodware Kit now available in the Surfrider store!
This kit includes:
- To-Go Ware Utensil Set: fork, spoon, knife and chopsticks, all made from lightweight and strong bamboo wood. Utensils are hand-finished with natural, food-safe wood oil; bamboo wood does not stain or absorb flavors.
- To-Go Ware Stainless Steel 2-Tier Tiffins: Features sturdy self-latching top that doubles as a plate and is dishwasher & oven safe. Holds approximately 4 3/4 cups per tier.
- Stasher Reusable Silicone Sandwich Bag: Measures 7 x 7.5 x 1 inches and holds 15 fl ounces. Non-toxic, dishwasher and microwave safe.
While this kit is a great place to start, here are some other must-have items, some of which you may already own!
- A Stainless Steel water bottle – wouldn’t leave the house without it
- A tote bag – not just for groceries, take one with you wherever you shop
- An insulated tumbler - for your coffee or other beverages on the go
- A Stainless Steel pint cup – comes in handy at parties and events
Once you’ve got the basics down, there are so many other plastic-free alternatives to explore! Here are just a few to consider:
- Reusable straws – glass or stainless steel, wide or skinny, bendy or straight, a straw for every occasion!
- Reusable produce bags – eliminate the need for those pesky thin plastic ones
- Food huggers – forget the plastic wrap!
- Guppyfriend – to capture some of the microfibers that shed off your plastic-based clothing
- Terra Ties – to hold your hair back, naturally
- Bamboo Toothbrush - to brush your teeth, naturally
- Explore more options on Earth Hero, Life Without Plastic, Mighty Nest, Package Free, & Wild Minimalist
We can all vote with our dollar and help make the societal shift away from disposable plastics by purchasing and using reusables. Let’s make 2020 the year of reuse!