Right now, Congress has the opportunity to block the Trump administration’s dirty and dangerous offshore drilling plans through legislation, but we need your help! Two bills, H.R. 1941 and H.R. 205, would permanently protect portions of our nation’s coast from offshore oil and gas leasing, and will be voted on by the House of Representatives in early September. Please take action by telling your representatives to vote “YES” on H.R. 1941 and H.R. 205, and support all efforts to block expanded offshore oil drilling!
The Bills At-A-Glance:
H.R. 1941 - Coastal and Marine Economies Protection Act - Introduced by Representative Francis Rooney (R-FL), and Representative Kathy Castor (D-FL) - would permanently protect the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and straits of Florida from offshore oil and gas leasing.
H.R. 205 - Protecting and Securing Florida’s Coastline Act of 2019 - Introduced by Representative Joe Cunningham (D-SC) and Representative Francis Rooney (R-FL) - would permanently protect Florida’s Gulf Coast from offshore oil and gas leasing.
Despite encouraging news that the Trump administration has delayed its plans to expand offshore drilling to over 90% of U.S. waters, the planning process could still resume at any time. We cannot rest easy until new drilling in our coastal waters has been taken off the table completely. This is one of our best opportunities to stop the Trump administration's plans to approve harmful oil and gas development in U.S waters!
Let’s review the facts:
- Seismic blasting during exploration kills marine life
- Beach tourism generates 12x more jobs than offshore oil drilling
- 880,000 barrels of oil spill per year in the “normal drilling process”
- Oil spills could cost America an estimated $115,000 per year
Ready to take action? Here are 4 easy options that take less than 5 minutes!
Option 1: Call Your Representatives
- Find your House representative HERE
- Call and tell them to vote "YES" on HR 1941 and HR 205
- Ask why they don’t want offshore oil drilling (use the facts above!)
Option 2: Spread the Word Via Social Media
- Use our special TOOLKIT for sample posts/ images. Make sure to tag your representatives and the Surfrider Foundation!
Option 3: Sign our Action Alert HERE
Option 4: *Business Owners Only
- Add your name to our Business Sign-on Letter HERE
For more information:
Visit Surfrider's Stop Offshore Drilling campaign page