Ah, the holidays! They bring so much joy, merriment, and things to be thankful for. But with all the commercials, marketing, and pressure to buy the new "it" toy or perfect gift, it can be a challenge to find the right gift that doesn't use a lot of plastic or gets thrown out before next year's holidays come around. Welcome to our plastic-free gift giving guide! Below are some ideas and resources to make this holiday season merry, bright, and plastic-free!
- Gift your loved ones an experience. Instead of giving your loved ones more stuff, consider getting them gifts that leave memories, like concert tickets, a surf trip, membership to a local zoo or museum, a yoga or pilates class, or time spent with you. The memories will last much longer than anything you buy could!
- DIY a gift, like this sugar scrub from Going Zero Waste. Other great DIY ideas are a jar of hot chocolate mix or cookie mix. Bottle these in glass mason jars and tie them off with a festive hemp ribbon to make them plastic-free.
- Give a donation in their name. Sign your loved one up for a membership to your favorite organization (ahem, Surfrider!)
- Get your loved ones reusable items that can help them drop the single-use plastic lifestyle. Our collaborating companies in the Ocean Friendly Restaurants Premier Vendor Program make great gifts!
- Our friends at Simply Straws make beautiful glass and stainless steel straws, utensil kits, and more!
- Seastraws makes great paper straws for our Ocean Friendly Restaurants, but they also make silicone and stainless steel straws.
- Get them a new Klean Kanteen insulated mug for coffee on those cold mornings.
- Check out the Surfrider shop to stock up on gifts and support your favorite non-profit at the same time. Check out this Pela phone case, made from 100% compostable materials and available in 3 colors or the 20 oz insulated Klean Kanteen water bottle featuring Surfrider's new logo!
- Shop around for toys and gifts that are plastic-free. Wild Minimalist, Life Without Plastic, and Zero-Waste Home are all excellent resources for plastic-free gifts.
- When wrapping gifts, don't buy new wrapping paper. Instead, reuse old maps or paper grocery bags. And when you receive a gift bag, save the tissue and the bag to reuse again for next year.
Looking for more ideas? Check out this blog post from My Plastic-Free Life.