Plastic pollution is impacting our aquatic ecosystems, wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, fish, and turtles, and plastic fragments are even displacing plankton at the base of the food chain. So what's the best way to combat this global epidemic? It's simple, we need to stop the problem at its source!
The Surfrider Foundation's Great Lakes Friendly Restaurants program does just that. One restaurant, one customer at a time, increases awareness, drives change in behavior, and ultimately creates sccalble impact to reduce our plastic footprint.
The Great Lakes Friendly Restaurants program, a regionally specific take on Surfrider's Ocean Friendly Restaurants program, offers restaurants in an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our Great Lakes. Interested in becoming a Surfrider Great Lakes Friendly Restaurant Member? Sign up below!
To learn more about the national Ocean Friendly Restaurants program, including plastic pollution facts and restaurant registration benefits, click here.
Join Great Lakes Friendly Restaurants Today!
Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Great Lakes Friendly Restaurant.
Interested in becoming a Surfrider Great Lakes Friendly Restaurant Member?
Click here to register your restaurant
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.