Before creating a Smartfin program at your chapter, here are some things to consider.
- Talk to the leadership in your chapter and decide who will lead the Smartfin program (maybe it will be you!).
- Figure out how many people would want to join the committee. Remember, Smartfin committee members don't all have to be surfers. Decide how many Smartfins you'd want for your chapter.
- Consider the cost. Chapters wanting to set up a Smartfin program will need to fundraise for Smartfins (~$200 each). These fins then belong to the chapter and chapter members can rent them out from the chapter.
- Does your chapter have an existing relationship with any oceanographic researchers or institutions in your community? Are there specific research questions you could help answer by data with a Smartfin?
- Contact the Smartfin Project Manager at swaters[at]surfrider.org and let her know you would like to start collecting data with Smartfin!
If you're not already connected to a Surfrider chapter, but would like to create a Smartfin program in your community, contact the Smartfin Project Manager at swaters[at]surfrider.org.