03 • 01 • 2022
Fund NOAA’s Budget for 2023
Ensure sufficient funding for the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) for FY 2023 so the agency can continue to provide strong management of our ocean and coasts.
Surfrider Foundation is advocating for increased funding for the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the lead federal agency responsible for managing our nation's ocean and coasts, as well as monitoring weather and climate. Our priority is funding for NOAA coastal management, national marine sanctuaries, estuary reserves, Sea Grant and coastal resilience programs that go to the heart of Surfrider's mission.
Below is a summary of just some of NOAA's functions and benefits:
- Managing our nation's coasts in partnership with states, tribes, and communities to protect these vital resources for public use and enjoyment.
- Providing weather forecasts and related data that serve the needs of millions of people every day.
- Researching the effects of climate change so we can better understand the impact of greenhouse gas emissions on our planet.
- Ensuring sustainable fisheries that support jobs and help keep our seafood safe.
- Protecting marine ecosystems through a variety of programs including National Marine Sanctuaries.
- Collaborating with partners to conduct research that improves our understanding of the marine environment.
- Supporting community efforts to adapt to the effects of climate change including sea level rise and coastal flooding.
- Addressing plastic pollution through research, education, and marine debris removal.
Take Action to Protect our Coasts!
Please call your Congressional Representatives in Washington D.C. and ask them to support critical funding for NOAA in FY 2023. Find your Senate and House representatives' phone numbers here.