12 • 01 • 2021
Stop the LNG Terminal in Coos Bay
Surfrider Foundation Coos Bay Chapter is working to prevent the development and construction of a Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) export facility in Coos Bay, Oregon. The Jordan Cove LNG pipeline and export facility threatens over 400 waterways, eliminates critical estuarine habitat and permanently alters recreational features essential to the local population and tourism industry.
VICTORY! On December 1, 2021 the developers pulled the plug on the Jordan Cove project! Read more here.
The saga of the Jordan Cove liquified natural gas (LNG) facility started over a decade ago, well before Surfrider Foundation Coos Bay Chapter was even established. The energy export facility, proposed for the north side of the Port of Coos Bay has been heavily opposed by local citizens, environmental groups, fishermen and many landowners whose property would be subject to the Pacific Connector Pipeline that would deliver gas to the facility. Surfrider’s Coos Bay Chapter joined opposition in 2017, no longer able to sit on the sidelines of the largest development threat to their beloved bay. With a strong heritage of bay and ocean recreation, Jordan Cove threatens both the community and Surfrider Foundation Coos Bay Chapter's way of life and vision for a thriving and prosperous Coos Bay community.
Surfrider Foundation’s environmental policy on LNG facilities, finds that due to their impacts on coastal and ocean ecosystems, air quality, including increased greenhouse gases and coastal access, LNG facilities in the coastal zone are not consistent with our mission for protection, conservation of and access to coastal resources. Furthermore, the Coos Bay Chapter has found that siting of such a facility is inconsistent with their vision and mission as a chapter to both protect Coos Bay natural resources and recreational opportunities as well as support the overall community's growth and sustainabilty.
- 08/2017 | Environmental Impact Statement Comments to Army Corps. on Channel Modification
- 10/2017 | Motion to Intervene to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- 07/2018 | Water Quality Comments to Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- 01/2019 | Comments on Fill and Removal Permit Application to the Oregon Dept. of State Lands
- 02/2019| Channel Navigation Alteration to Coos County
- 05/2019 | Jordan Cove Estuarine and Floodplain Permit Application to Coos County
- 05/2019 | Jordan Cove Dredge Disposal and Pipeline to Coos County
- 06/2019 | Jordan Cove LNG terminal design and marine slip to Coos County
- 07/2019 | Draft Environmental Impact Statement Comments to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- 09/2019 | Coastal Zone Management Act Consistency Comments to Dept. of Land Conservation and Development
- 09/2019 | Water Quality Permit Comments to US Army Corps of Engineers
- 12/2019 | Bureau of Land Management RMP Coalition Protest
- 12/2019 | Bureau of Land Management RMP Chapter Protest