The Surfrider Foundation is excited to be an official beneficiary and partner of the Beach Life Festival, which took place Friday May 3 - Sunday May 5, 2019. It was the first coastal festival ever to be held in Los Angeles on the Pacific Ocean. We exhibited alongside our friends at 5 Gyres to educate and engage with festival goers and have been working with festival organizers on sustainability initiatives to reduce the festival's overall footprint. After the festival, we cohosted a beach cleanup with Beach Life Festival just south of Redondo Beach Pier to continue to give back to the community, the coastline and to leave the environment cleaner than we found it. In just two hours we removed almost 60 lbs of trash, plastic and microplastic!
Photo Credit JP Cordero
If you're heading to an outdoor concert this summer, here are some tips to reduce your footprint:
- Bring a reusable water bottle.
- Wear reef friendly sunscreen.
- Skip plastic cups and bring a reusable pint cup in your backpack.
- Say NO to straws in any beverages - iced coffee, tea, cocktails, etc.
- Avoid styrofoam and single use plastic take-out containers.
- Bring reusable silverware.
- Consider bicycling, walking, carpooling or taking mass transit.
- Pack snacks and food in resuable containers and use on-site lockers to store what you don't want to cart around.
- Use your mobile apps for tickets and skip printed paper tickets.
- Choose sustainable menu options when eating out like local, vegetarian or vegan.