Do you love the ocean? The beach? Whales? Surfing? Paddle boarding? Boating? The list of amazing things you can do in and around the ocean is truly endless. But this amazing body of water is in jeopardy. And there’s no better time than World Oceans Month to ask for your support in the preservation and protection of our ocean and beaches. We know you want to do your part … right? Because while we’re making great strides thanks to our chapter network many cities and towns banning plastic bags, organizing regular beach clean-ups, fighting bad projects that could harm our coasts and the like, there is SO MUCH MORE to be done.
As defenders of the ocean, Surfrider needs help. Below are a few things you can do … we promise it’s all easy and won’t hurt a bit. : )
- Sign Something: Sign the petition to reject seismic testing and drilling in the Atlantic Ocean. Click here to do your part right now.
- Make a call: Call your state representative and say, “I'm calling to ask that you oppose all new offshore oil and gas development and exploration.”
- Support Alternatives: Drive slowly. If you drive a vehicle getting low MPG, lower speeds can significantly save fuel.
- Use Public Transit: Explore mass transit. If that’s not an option, combine errands – making several trips can use a lot of gas.
- Say No to Plastic: Stop using plastic bags and single-use plastics. Around 100 billion petroleum-based plastic checkout bags are used each year in the United States, requiring an estimated 12 million barrels of oil each year. 60-80 percent of pollution in our ocean comes from plastic and an estimated 100,000 marine mammals and up to 1 million sea birds die each year after ingesting or being tangled in plastic marine litter. That’s just wrong!
- Protect Your Waterways: Create an ocean friendly garden (helps conserves water and lessen polluted runoff), pick up trash at your beach and get involved with your community, whether that's through a local Surfrider chapter or another organization that protects coastal resources.
And if you are not already, become a member of Surfrider. Your membership will support our volunteers who fight for the safety and health of our ocean, the creatures that live in it, and the people who depend on it for their livelihood. Join today!